Friday 30 November 2012

WOAH...I've done nothing...30/11/2012

You must all think that life in Uganda is exciting all the time and that we are always incredibly busy and living the high life from my previous blogs, but the past two weeks, I have been bored! With the children sitting their exams and English not being one of them I didn't really have any reason to be in school! Although I still went in occasionally for some lunch, I am still a bad cook, I haven't become a master chef because I am on a different continent! In fact if I have cooked anything, it has been a pasta pack that mum sent, I had to do the 10 minute walk for milk so it was only when I was really hungry! 

Other than doing my 10 minute walk for milk and occasionally trotting (not literally!) down the road to get a free dinner from Justine, I have basically done nothing! Although I did complete season 6 of Sex and the City (SATC) and get half way through season 4, clearly a productive fortnight! Although disaster struck when the electricity went off AND my kindle refused to work! I swear I am a little heart broken. I can still read my books but if I can't go back a page (which happens with me a lot because I don't always understand things and have to read it twice) or open ANYTHING, someone pleeeaase help me!! It is a disaster and there must be someone who knows someone who knows the guy that made the Kindle! Or maybe the man that made the kindle is reading this, not that I think he is, but if you are Mr Kindle, HELP ME! 

Okay now that my begging is done, I do apologise, I did have one exciting thing to tell you all...I went to an Introduction ceremony, all say 'ooh' now as it is less exciting when you are actually at it! It was exciting getting into our traditional dress which is designed to make you sweat, stink and roast alive. And it was exciting when we were given a free soda, but other than that...I was bored! I saw folk come in and dance and had to kneel to a bunch of old birds and then the bride forgot how to smile but that was about it. Although at one point the speaker did seem to think it would be great to get the mzungu's (US) up for show and tell, he even made me say something...I was unprepared and went for a classic "Thank you all for being so welcoming." While thinking in my head "Why the hell have I been in a plastic chair for the past 3 hours with no wine and in ugly shoes?!" But I didn't really think it was appropriate. I was also hugged by a black man which shocked me, I thought public affection scared them? Anyway, everyone cheered when the hug took place, woohoo, he hugged a white bird...tehe!

That was pretty much the ceremony, then home to bed for a long sleep and another dull day! However, I did get a few shocks this week. One was horrible and even brought me to tears! I went out for a walk and saw a young girl, about 2 years old, butt naked running out of a house (can you call huts houses?) screaming with red lines along her back. I was shocked but refused to think she had been beaten, that was until a woman followed the poor girl outside shouting in Luganda holding a stick as if to go and hit the girl again. I can only pressume the girl had killed the woman's father as that is the only reason I can think that she might have been beaten so badly, it was truly horrific! 

However the second thing is amazing! My host, and Ugandan daddy, Moses is seriously superman. I know people say this kind of thing all the time, but I am serious! He left a life of wealth behind to live in almost poverty so that he could start a school for those who are below the poverty line (Children Sure House, where I work), built homes for over 20 families, started campaigns to protect women against domestic violence and is currently teaching the communtiy all about how they can save the enviroment! All in 18 years, and he doesn't even have enough money to get power in his house?! I swear, he is super man. I was so impressed I have decided to try and start a link between two primary schools in Scotland, try and raise awareness about Moses so that he gets the credit he deserves (and hopefully some donatioins) and I have also taken it upon myself to sell some craft that is made by a group of women who are HIV positive or struggling against domestic abuse to help them have a more hopeful future.

So really, although I haven't done much, I have been busy, you follow? Don't worry, neither do I! Travelling starts on Sunday though, eep! Tanzania, Zanzibar and Kenya better watch out, there is a Cleeton about to hit you like a storm! I cannot wait to tell you all about my adventures when ever I find an internet cafe and someone who is willing to let me use their computer, sadly the laptop is not getting to come on the travels! 

Until then my friends, all my best wishes and hopefully some sunshine from 
A Uganda girl, Ssanya! X


No comments:

Post a Comment