Saturday 3 November 2012

Saturday 3rd November...2 MONTHS!!


I wasn’t joking around when I said a day in Uganda just can’t be relaxing! On Thursday we decided to head out to Lugazi to go and stay with our friends Phoebe and Sigrid which was so exciting! Initially we had planned to go on the Friday but Moses decided to give us the day off to make travelling easier, what a legend! Actually love Momo as I have formally nicknamed him (without him knowing!) and I am pretty certain he would love it! Maybe I should have a career in nicknaming folk, gotta consider every option in life! 

Anyhoo, so we headed off on our journey to Lugazi which was no way easy! First we left Kiwangala at 7am (!!!) and then were stuck in Masaka for about 5 hours waiting on the post bus to arrive. Never fear though we used our time wisely by eating and getting our mail. I love love love getting mail from people! I had letters from mum, dad, Ellen, my grandparents and Jodie, I couldn’t have been happier! Although Jodie’s letter was 10 pages long so I was sitting for some time reading the whole thing, laughing and wanting to cry at how much I missed her, and damn do I miss that girl. To add to it she also sent me chocolate!! Ahhh!! Chocolate!! I am keeping it safe until the time arises that it is needed desperately! Eventually the bus arrived though and we hopped on and had a great journey to Kampala, I sat with a guy who has travelled every where! He was craaaazy cool guy!

After a 3 hour bus journey beside a lady with the biggest bum I have ever seen in my puff (she took up half my seat as well as all of hers, how rude!) we got to Kampala. Challenge 1…complete! Challenge 2 was to find the bus park, easy. Challenge 3, get to Lugazi…not so easy! Especially when our damn taxi breaks down!! After that we waited about half an hour on another taxi that would eventually take us and we were over charged, ach life! However when we did arrive it was great! I was so happy to see the girls and so excited to be spending the weekend with them! They are like our family here who live just that little bit away…up north, ha!

After a delicious dinner, not so great sleep and a stumble to the taxi the following day we went to…
JINJA!! Eeeep I LOVE JINJA!! It was amazing. There are white folk everywhere, shocking stuff, and amazing little craft places! I swear I am going to come back and need to buy a mansion just to fit all of the artwork I want! Slight issue, maybe have to renovate the house when I get home! Once we had eaten we decided to go and get ourselves somewhere to stay so we headed to backpackers, of course! Once we had dropped our bags off we went off on a walk down to the Nile where we had a Nile beer, what else? It was great, and although we couldn’t see the sun set, we watched the go down! It was magical!

However the following day, we swam in the Nile!!!! Can you actually believe that I swam in the Nile, and really near the source! However I definitely should have gone to the gym a lot before I came because swimming against a current is HARD! I swear I thought I was gonna just give up and give in to drowning, but obviously I didn’t. It was really hard though! I was also petrified, I mean I thought there were crocodiles in the Nile, so I was freaking out that something might snap at my toe at any second! I got out pretty quick but I did get in so I am sticking to that!

After our swim we then walked to backpackers and Sigrid, Phoebe and I had a ‘shower with a view’ which was spectacular! Granted bloody freezing, but it was beautiful having a shower and just looking up the Nile as I washed my hair, so great! We then went back to the girls place and then travelled home, which was lovely too. We had to get our passports from Ian and Eugine so we sat in an amazing little café where we read Vainty Fair and drank coffee, always a high class gal! If anyone if struggling about what to send me, MAGAZINES!!! I am missing the gossip, after all I don’t get called a gossip for nothing!!

This week has been really good! We were broken into and our kitchen key was stolen along with a tampon, African’s our strange, so we are having to eat down at Justine’s every night, I swear it is heavenly, if we never get in the kitchen again I don’t think I would really mind! Therefore we have pretty much just been spending every night with Justine, Moses and the kids! Just loving life loads!
Also we had the two girls we met when we first arrived, Danny and Julie, over to stay the past two nights which was just fantastic! They are such amazing girls and it is so nice getting to see them again before they leave for America and Denmark! Hopefully we will keep in contact, at least I really want to! Now chilling in Masaka eating a toastie and drinking a smoothie, but must go as Holly will want on! Don’t want to hog the laptop!

Love to everyone from a Ugandan Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment