Thursday 15 November 2012

15th November - The Sesse Islands, drunk off two beers!


The Sesse Adventure! Oh and what an adventure it was, starting at 5 in the morning! Which by the way is 2 in the morning in Britain…an unpleasant time to be woken to go out and get a taxi! But Holly, Rachel, Jen, Nathan, Freddie and I did it none-the-less and travelled from Kiwangala to the Sesse Islands. However we did miss the 8 o’clock boat by 5 minutes so had to hang around for 3 hours for the next boat at a place where there was pretty much…nothing! Seriously, all there was was 2 ladies with some fires who were serving food which birds and flies were also enjoying, but that’s Ugandan life isn’t it? So I had two plates, one from each lady, didn’t want them to think I had favourites!

Eventually we got the boat to the Sesse Islands which was lovely. I amn’t overly fussed about being on a boat though so in all honesty it could have been spectacular but I was tired and wanted to get in my bikini by the lake! When we reached the other side we still had an hour car journey to get to the place we were staying, the Hornbill Camp, which was fabulous! It is a little place which has shacks to sleep in, which are painted pretty cool and some even have a loo inside, although watch out for the creepy bugs that are in there, I amn’t ashamed to admit they gave me the heebie jeebies! Other than the creepy little bugs though, the place is fantastic. We arrived, got into our swim-wear and headed into the water with a nice warm beer (the guy didn’t have a fridge and the cooler was broken). Apparently when you are drinking about once a month or in our case once every two months, you can get pretty tipsy very easily off of only 2 Nile beers. We were in the fit of giggles in the water and had a right good laugh about the diseases we could get, we do take these things seriously sometimes…

Soon it became too much for me so I had a nap, which lasted approximately 4 hours, standard nap in Uganda. In this time Nathan, Freddie, Rachel and Holly had managed to get a boat and go out on the lake and Hamish had arrived, as well as that Rachel found it hilarious to put all of our empty beer bottles round me and take a photo, I don’t think PT are going to be overly impressed when they see that, I swear I only had 2!

The night was fantastic just chilling by a camp fire sharing stories about our projects and the gossip that is going down! Damn right there is gossip here, a goat escaped the other day and then we didn’t get it until the morning, it was crazy! Sadly we were all knackered so only managed to stay up until 10 before finally deciding to hit the hay and get a good nights sleep. I was of course up at 6am as always for my ritual morning pee and just decided to stay up so wandered down to the beach and chilled there until everyone else joined me, then it was breakfast time!

After we had eaten and then gone for a walk to buy more food, we all chilled out on the beach soaking up some more rays trying to catch a tan, but sadly we couldn’t stay there forever so we set off for our boat ride home, squished, of course, into a taxi, however thankfully this taxi seated more people so unlike the ride there I wasn’t lying across everyone.

When we reached Masaka Jen, Rach and Nathan decided to come back and stay at ‘shack a la Kiwangala’ for an extra night which was really nice! We all bought dinner in town when we arrived (goat sticks, chipatti’s and milk) and then sauntered home to our paraffin lamp and cosy home. Sadly we discovered we had been broken into again but nothing had been taken, I really think they are just trying to scare us, no matter what though I am not feeling to great about it!

Monday we said goodbye to our guests and started our week of teaching. Sadly though, this week I have felt awful! So unbelievably homesick, sleepy and I have had a constant headache. I think it might be just because of my stupid dreams but I have cried so much, to the extent where even at school Justine (Mum) asked me what was wrong and I just burst into tears! Don’t worry though, she wrapped me in her arms like any mother and cuddled me until I had stopped, I am so lucky to have her it is unreal! After my last class Greg also called and we were on the phone for a good hour or so which really helped me out. I swear my dreams can be about him which upsets me because he tends to be a bad guy in the dream, then on the phone he sorts everything out, it’s quite impressive!

So now I am sitting at my desk in front of the window which faces outside Carrie Bradshaw style thinking that I should maybe go into school. I am supposed to have computing but since the power has been out for so long I haven’t been teaching it, however we do now have power again so maybe I should be teaching them...ah well their exams are next week so the English revision is probably more beneficial! Oh did I mention WE HAVE POWER AGAIN!!!!!

Lots of love from a Ugandan Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment