Saturday 3 November 2012

The Kampala weekend...at the start of October!


What a weekend we had in Kampala! First of all getting to Kampala nearly killed us! We took a horrible matatu from Masaka to Kampala which we have discovered is one of the most dangerous journeys to take…uho! And then when we eventually got to Kampala half of the town was blocked off due to the parade. Of course we had to go for a meeting with our big bags on the weekend of the independence celebrations, didn’t we?! Anyway once we eventually got into Kampala we had to get from the taxi park to meet Phoebe and Sigrid so I am sorry to say it Project but we grabbed a boda and headed into the centre of town. For those who aren’t caught up in the Ugandan lingo, a boda’s are motorbikes which are driven everywhere, aren’t too cheap, are pretty damn dangerous (seen as you don’t wear a helmet or leathers and you can ride with up to 3 people on with you, and that’s not including the driver!) but are super fun!

Once we eventually got to the centre we met Phoebe and Sigrid, where we had…Chinese! It was so good! I think food is one thing that is making me miss home more than I probably need to, sorry guys. After food we went to a lovely little craft market, where I bought myself a super cute little bag for everyday use, as well as some day trips I reckon! Eventually we managed to drag ourselves away from the market and we headed to Ian’s where we turned up an hour late due to our misunderstanding on yet another matatu, no worries though, we’re on Africa time now.

Ian’s was nice. We got to see all the other volunteers and catch up with each other. Was hilarious hearing about the adventures everyone has had and all of the different things they have had to do, I won’t lie as great as our project is, I am pretty sure we drew the short straw. If people don’t have a toilet, they have a nearby town with a supermarket or some other crazy modern invention Kiwangala is yet to hear of, or other volunteers relatively near. That’s right I am jealous!
After catching up as a group we all made our own way out to either a bar or a place that sells cake. You can imagine where I went, straight to the cake shop and damn was it a good choice! I swear if I had the ability to make cake I think I would be in heaven, it was beautiful! Sigrid and I sat outside so that she could smoke and chatted about our projects and how much we are missing home while she added in many indecent comments that made us both laugh a lot, honestly the Ugandan’s would faint if they heard us!

On Monday it was Greg and I’s anniversary, which I always knew was going to be hard but when I concluded Skype was ridiculously rubbish, I just wanted to be home. I was so upset and couldn’t stop crying for quite a while, however we were on the phone quite a few times for the rest of the day and night which helped lot and soon cheered me up. Monday I also had the pleasure of listening to a talk from a teacher who seemed to be quite a believer in the cane and our doctor who scared the hell out of us. If you ever come to Uganda do not get a talk from Dr Stalkly, you will cry and run away screaming, sadly I am tied to a job and reckon I am becoming pretty hardcore now!

So on the Tuesday we said our cheerio’s to everyone knowing fine well we would see them in an hour or so at Backpackers and then headed off to Kampala. After another crazy boda ride we made it to Backpackers and dropped our stuff off, grabbed a juice, chatted to folk and then headed off to see the good ol’ doc; which turned out to be a complete waste of time and 95,000 shillings! They asked me to poop in a cup (I know right?!) and then stole my blood and charged ME?! Surely they were owe me something!

Annoyed and bored we left the doc after being there for 2 hours and headed to Kampala where we had some scrumtious cocktails while looking up Kampala road at the beautiful view, who said this was hard? Afterwards we wandered along until we found...an Indian! Oh it was great! Sadly I still didn’t feel great so didn’t eat much of mine which infuriated me no end. It wasn’t all bad though, after our meal we went along to Mish Mash, a place which is apparently where all Mzungu’s (white people!) in Uganda hang out. We listened to some live music, had lots to drink and shared many good laughs as half a country group! Mish Mash was great fun, I even found myself talking to a random Scottish guy who is from Corstorphine, what’re the odds?! And some Swedish guy who ended up buying all of us at least one drink, what a guy! Only issue was I forgot his name so had to call him Sweden for the rest of the night and whenever we discussed him which caused many laughs.

After Mish Mash, for some reason, we decided to go to Stake Out, possibly the worst place ever! It was rank and I have no intention of ever returning. I am sure many of the men hope I won’t return too seen as whenever they grabbed me I stabbed them with my nails and scratched down their arms. I also told some of the woman to stop dancing with their butts to get men and have fun and they started ignoring some very pissed-off looking men, it was quite a laugh to watch. I should really start a survival guide to Uganda, because you should never go there…EVER!

Eventually we got home at half 4 in the morning, it was practically a standard Thursday, except on a Tuesday and in Uganda instead of Perth. Tired and bothered we all got into bed however 2 hours later I was awake and wanted to go home. I went out to speak to Rach and Jen who were sitting outside before considering getting dressed and quickly emailing a few folk which was nice. I also had beans on toast for breakfast which was damn amazing!

Holly and I then set out to get her a sleeping bag and after yet another super long and exciting boda ride she managed to get one from a big shopping market which is like Uganda’s answer to Cosco. However Holly remembered she had forgotten her towel at Backpackers so I found myself a cafĂ© to sit with our bags and drink some juice while she went back to retrieve the towel. I think because we were both really tired and wanted to get home a lot we were very irritable with one another and barely spoke to one another. But never fear, we talked about it and sorted it like mature adults, no blood was drawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment