Sunday 7 October 2012

6th October...I wasn't lying!


I thought it was time to start another post seen as what I am about to type is super exciting…I have been here for one whole month…and I have survived! Woo! It is incredible to think that I have been away from my family for a whole month now, well it is in fact more than a month but still! It is a bloody long time!

To celebrate our managing to stay for at least one month we had a party! Okay this is a lie, but we did go to a party! We were invited up to the Good Samaratan school to witness the passing over between sixth formers and eat lots of yummy food and dance, which was super good fun! We were also going up because some of our pupils were singing which was cool. Actually it was really cool because after they had performed they were told they had to do something, which I didn’t quite understand but hey, and they performed a song I had taught them in choir! Literally almost cried with pride. Was one of the greatest moments I have had here in Uganda for a song, granted a pretty simple “repeat-after-me” song, that I had taught to be sang by my pupils and the audience enjoyed it! It turned me into a happy puppy and I was that odd Muzungu that stood up and clapped like a seal at the end of the performance!
As well as the great performance we also had some fab dancing. After a meal that would put anything Dad tries to serve up to shame, we went back to the hall where the kids were dancing and we got to join in! It was hilarious and honestly felt great busting a move again! Not quite loft standard with those shape cuttings and VK’s, but our mountain dew and random butt shaking was up to quite a good standard! We were actually asked to get up with our kids and dance for the audience which was hilarious, I followed Sylvia since she can actually dance, don’t panic I didn’t embarrass myself too much! The guys are hilarious when they dance, they do not hold anything back when getting their groove on they just go for it. However Holly and I must have been the best because we were given sweets for doing so well! Apparently it is something that people do here which I seriously think we should introduce back home. Imagine dancing in a club at home and instead of a creep trying to get in your face with his awful dancing he just hands you a sweet?! We’d probably not accept it, y’know “never accept sweets from strangers” but it would be so much nicer.

I have noticed that about Uganda though. Back home I am so suspecting of everyone you forget that not everyone wants to kill you, in fact quite the opposite here! Everyone just wants to marry you or make sure that you eat loads of food, I am telling you Uganda really is so unbelievably friendly. We even found really friendly Americans! We met them up at the party and once we had got talking they gave us food! I am telling you, everyone wants to feed us, I really do think I am going to come home super fat if life continues in this way! But they were lovely and so happy to just chat to us and of course we had our good old buddy James there for them to chat to as well, was such a lovely evening!

Sadly, Josie did not enjoy being fed by strangers, the dusty roads and our beautiful shack as she left Uganda this week. It was a shame to lose one of the three but it is her decision and although I think we will always be of different opinions on leaving I hope she doesn’t live to regret it. I suppose in a way I am jealous of her be able to just give up, but then I remember why I am here and am no longer jealous as I am going to have a fantastic year and although I might fear not having Greg or Rachel or any other friends that might move on when I am away, I will always have my family and Holly when I return home.

As Josie has left us, I have now moved into her bed so that Holly and I are now not only house mates, but roommates. Am I excited? Damn straight I am! If we ever get into an argument I will be able to lunge myself over and make it a proper fight…only issue is the net which could prove the whole thing a little difficult and end with us in hysterics! Don’t panic though Holly and I are yet to come across anything which causes us to argue or fall out which I am hoping we just don’t ever discover! However the only issue with moving beds is that I no longer have the princess bed! How will I ever survive? I think I might just make a crown and put it onto my new bed so that it feels like a princess bed although it is nothing like the real deal, at least if we have any visitors they can stay in the princess bed and feel like a princess for a few nights!

Although Uganda does feel super safe and friendly all the time, I mean only the other day I was asked, “Why are you so beautiful?” clearly this guy was blind as I hadn’t washed my hair in about a week and I am pretty sure I had a mud streak on my face (trying to fit in with the black folk so just going to rub myself in mud to become black!) but it was lovely to hear. However apart from all the laughs we have been having, sadly somebody broke into our kitchen and stole, not the pots, pans, cutlery or even loads of food, but a handful of our nuts which were a gift from the Americans! I was raging! It was so good and some ratty little kid thought that they could have some, I probably would have even given them some if they had asked but they had to be super cool and steal it! Trust me when I find whoever committed such a dangerous crime of stealing food from Madam Jenny, I shall have my evil and painful revenge…cue evil laugh!

Oh well, “no point crying over spilt milkshake” as the lady from Grease would say! We have had some fantastic laughs! Although I have not felt great and slept way more than I could have imagined possible, we have had some hilarious times! On Saturday we had James and Herbert over for a chat and Holly actually played shop with them pretending to sell sunglasses, I think Herbert and I were about to wet ourselves while Holly and James were deadly serious and even bartering with one another! Oh the fun, but honestly you forget how fun the games you played when you were little were! If I have any advice for all you grown ups, play some childish games and enjoy reminiscing your childhood with your friends. I found all of this hilarity too much and had to take a nap but because our mattresses were outside I put two chairs together and curled up like a foetus and fell sound asleep. Bloody uncomfy nap though but I must have been a bit sleepy as I slept like baby Elinah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment