Sunday 7 October 2012

6th October, this is a long one!


Well, well, well, I have so much to tell you all! I have been making notes about all of my adventures and there is a page covered in abbreviations to ensure everything actually fitted…it still didn’t though! I think I shall have to break this blog down into about 3 or 4 entries though otherwise it will just be too much, and I am well aware how much us Brits enjoy a cuppa while reading, and you will definitely need more than one!

I suppose I better explain why I have taken so long to blog! First of all I wasn’t feeling to funky fresh due to the bites and was sleeping an awful lot as well as having to deal with babies being thrust into my arms at every opportunity. And then disaster struck when our power line was cut! That’s right, it was snipped in half!! Apparently our host Moses (who I will talk about a lot more later, he is seriously a legend!) hadn’t paid his electricity bill and the top dog was not pleased so cut us off. But never fear as we handled the situation pretty well! It actually made me realise how pathetic I am without a phone and how much I would normally depend on electricity, but when we were cut off from the power we actually managed well! Of course we are not privileged enough to have electricity to cook from or to have a tv powered in our little shack, but we do have laptops, camera’s, phones, ipods and kindles. As you all know these very much depend on electricity so when the power is down, eventually so are they! But we have coped and I am now reading Anne Frank’s diary, something I have wanted to do for a long time, however I am slightly disappointed in it; bummer!

Anyway, without the electricity we have done lots of mad things, like talk! Can you actually believe it? Teenagers without a phone in their hand, talking to one another…to each others faces! Don’t worry I am just as shocked as you, but it is really good! I think the grown-ups might be right in that we really don’t need to have our phones glued to our hands. Not only have we spoken to one another a lot but we have also spoken to our neighbours an awful lot! One neighbour in particular who wants to speak to us nearly every day is James. Not only is he rather chatty but he doesn’t half know how clever and fit he is! He tries to make everything a competition, but never fear I will beat him in the eating competition he has challenged me to…the fool!!

Something which is super cool and you should all appreciate is that in our little shack, in a dusty village that I am pretty sure even Ugandan’s have never heard of, I feel like Carrie Bradshaw! Eep! It is so cool! We have a desk in our house which faces out the window onto the street, which is just like Miss B! It is very exciting and to all of those who should receive letters fairly soon prepare for me to compare myself to my idol an awful lot. Due to this fantastic new realisation I have actually written an awful lot of letters! When I say a lot I mean about 5 in a day…and with the amount I write I swear Advanced higher Drama essays seem like a breeze to the hand now. Good luck to all that are going to receive those letters because I think I was also going a little mad, can you really blame me though?

We had a very scary experience for the first time in our lovely little village one night though. It may sound like nothing, but honestly I think we were all a little close to tears and even the memory makes me shiver…we went to the cinema! Oh it was horrid! It was honestly like we were being taken to get killed. I even whispered to Paul, who had kindly offered to take us to this hell hole, “I’m scared!” and he just laughed…HE LAUGHED!? When we later told Justine and Moses that we had gone to the cinema at night they were shocked and gave us a row…your never really far from your parents are you? The cinema is literally a dirty room with a tv that has a film on with a translator on the entire time speaking really loudly! For all we knew he was making the entire film up or making fun of us, but bleeding nora the guy would not shut up! Not only that, but we were also squished into a room, which would usually have only 20 people in it in Britain due to health regulations, but no we had about 60 people in there, all snuggled up tightly...in roasty toasty Uganda!

Something I have realised while I have been over here is how proud I am of my family. I sat and thought about the achievements they all have and it made me a little teary to think I can now add something of my own to our list of achievements. I also realised that I am pretty sure my Dad is my hero. Yes, I know, I have lost it, I am calling my father my hero, but I swear he really is! Everything he has achieved in his life is amazing and he is now in a job which he loves! I mean he is just back from Chicago watching the Ryder Cup which I am sure any golf fanatic would love, so imagine my Dad’s cheery little face to this situation! I am super proud of him and can’t help think that I am one of the luckiest girls in the world to have such a fabulous and supportive family!

No comments:

Post a Comment