Friday 21 September 2012

What next?


Another exciting couple of days! I swear no day is uneventful here, when there is one I am leaving. I feel like every day brings a new adventure; if there is anything I love more than shoes, it’s an adventure!

Yesterday we all woke feeling a little down, never a good thing when you are a million miles away from your family! I eventually managed to roll myself out of bed after a horrible dream, some lovely texts from Greg and my fantastic big bro feeling a little better, but nobody else did! Josie came through and told us she couldn’t go to school because she had been up all night; problem 1! We soon resolved the situation that I would take her two biology classes that day, I can hear Mrs Johnson laughing at the idea, and she would just stay in bed trying to catch up on the sleep she had missed. But then Holly told us she was feeling pretty bad too, problem 2, as there was no way in hell I could teach bloody physics or, brace yourselves, maths!? But Holly was okay and came to school with me and even covered one of the biology classes I had promised to do, Angel! Thankfully that was all the problems for the day!

So Wednesday morning I managed to teach double art to my first years at the same time as teaching second year biology! When I say ‘first year’ or ‘second year’ I always mean ‘standard grade’. The way the schools here work are that you always learn standard grade or higher work and then you can only move into a higher class once you have passed the exams you sit. That is why in a primary 6 class there is a 16 year old boy called Pius, who is such a sweetheart!

Anyway after my mad morning classes I had my first choir session! I had such a great time! For years I have been the girl sitting in the choir being taught songs and doing the silly warm-ups my teachers taught me, but now I was the one making everyone do these mad things! It was such a laugh! I had the children doing long-face, short-face, wide-face and horse, I now understand why Vicki used to do this to us, watching the kids do it was blooming hilarious! I actually made them repeat it just to give myself an extra kick, they laugh at me enough why not give myself the giggles at their expense? Because it was just my first session and I really am one of the least organised people in the world I decided to do some sirens (ask Marjory, she seems to love these!) and then some lalala’s to pass time. Don’t worry eventually I actually let the kids sing! We did a simple repeat after me song which I heard them singing all day today and then I had them singing (and doing the actions) for “do your ears hang low?” The amount of times I almost said do your boobs hang low was ridiculous…I don’t know if they know what boobs are but that’s beside the point, right?

Then last night after a not so eventful day after the choir we received a note from Justine asking if we had any painkillers she could have, so Nurse Jenny headed down the (really really dark) road to save Justine’s poor head. I did this thinking Justine has been great to us and I can’t actually be scared to walk down this road when a 9 year old has just come up with the note, but bloody hell I was petrified! As I was walking back up I bumped into Godfrey (just married and a little creepy) who told me he thought I was a doctor and also told me all about his wedding which sounded really good fun and we had only just missed it!

Today is a new day though! Mum’s birthday is tomorrow, Dad left for Chicago today, the kids were happy and laughing and I was bored out my mind while teaching my computing lesson. Pretty much the way most days go right? (well Ugandan days anyway) As I was sitting waiting for two of my S1’s to finish typing out the 10 short sentences I had given them (half an hour for each two!) I began to doodle, hey maybe these art classes are rubbing off on me or something? I just did my usual doodles of wonky flowers, bubble writing name, swirls, love hearts, trees, the basic stuff a 2 year old could manage. I then began to draw a robot, maybe Ptak was on my mind? And, SATC moment here, it got me thinking, do robots have toes? I really could not finish my drawing without this knowledge so I stared straight ahead at the computer screen with the usual Carrie Bradshaw stare, of course instead of looking out of a New York apartment window I was staring at a huge spider on the wall, I almost screamed.  Pretty sure my kids think I am mad…

Now I am lying out in the garden in a pair of shorts and my vest top rolled up around my boobs to catch some rays of sunshine, while my hand washed clothes  hang on our handmade washing line, who said this was hard? Life is pretty pleasant these days. I still wake up a little sad, but that’s because my mind plays tricks on me at night in my dreams, but as the day goes on I always feel a lot better! I have a laugh with the kids, and if I don’t they are in trouble, and then I just chill with the girls or one of our many neighbours comes over for a casual catch up about Britain, politics, life and everything you can think of! Our neighbours yesterday actually helped us to get internet which was amazing! They are all really polite and helpful and in all honesty they have made me feel right at home, and for a year, that’s what this place is.

Or atleast I was yesterday before we were delivered a baby (not that I minded at all! She fell asleep in my arms!?!?!) and then went to bed and woke up the next day? Hello world and Happy Birthday to my Mama!

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blog Jenny. Shame you have been without electricity this week and have not been able yet to update it. Will look again next week to see what you have been up to. Hope the 'bugs' are not still biting you? Take care. Alison xx

    ReplyDelete