Saturday 15 September 2012

The first week!


What a week! Talk about crazy. I have now been away from my mum, dad, friends, Greg, the girls EVERYONE for a week. Granted it isn’t quite a week until midday but in my mind I have done it. This time last week I was probably crying in someone’s arms, and now the only chance of me being in someone’s arms are of my toy lion, but all will be fine. I have made myself a sign which is stuck to my wall above my bed, which I am going to try very hard to go by. It is important I remember why I am here and don’t get stuck in the mess of my head telling me that I miss home.  I have tried so many new things while I have been here, I have learnt that I will never learn how to love a drop toilet, that Holly is one of the strongest people I know (sorry Angela), Josie does the craziest voices and hand actions and that Mountain Dew is bloody fantastic (thanks Greg!)
So my crazy week! We arrived and stayed at a hostel, then had to move our luggage to Ian’s, where we stayed for two nights, we then had to travel to the CSH head quarters, because although Moses is a great guy, he is a little forgetful.
But finally we have arrived! It isn’t quite the paradise we were all used to; in fact it was the complete opposite! To put it kindly I felt like I had moved from my wonderful sweet little cottage to being homeless and having to beg for everything, although it isn’t quite that extreme. We have a home, if you can call it that. It has two a-joining rooms. I am in one room alone with a big double bed, the ‘princess bed’ as I like to call it, while Holly and Josie are in the room next door which has two single beds in it. Yes, I know, I shouldn’t be complaining, I have a bed for Christs’ sake! But then I haven’t even started about the state of the house. I have a very dusty floor, an outside kitchen, toilet, shower, and eating area, I am screwed if it is cold! Oh and we have some house mates, some lovely, very loud rats, what else could we want? A drop toilet? Oh don’t worry we have it. As well as a kitchen with no electricity and a shower which reminds me of prison, concrete, no doors, sort of hellish!
But I have tried to make myself feel at home, I have pictures of my beautiful friends, stunning family. I also have my Scotland flag up that has been written on by my friends and some family, the message closest to me is from Greg and it says “Uganda’s lucky to have you! Greg xxxxxxx” damn that boy makes me smile. I have also unpacked to a minor degree in that, I have a lot of tampons and medical stuff out my bag and all of my dresses, cardi’s, skirts, and anything long are now hanging up proudly. There are about 7 things on one hanger with my shoes happily lined up. Don’t worry, I am always able to buy shoes, so if my heart does feel like it is breaking at any time during this year, I will purchase shoes.
So although I have written in my journal that this place is a hell hole and that I don’t want to be here because “I miss my mum and dad so much!” or “My friends are going to forget me” I need to remember why I am here and what I am going to achieve. I may feel as if I am making no difference and that the children hate me, but they are just stubborn (just like me!) and I am doing well! I need to remember that everyone back home loves me and they will support me in every decision I make.  

No comments:

Post a Comment