Tuesday 11 December 2012

Welcome to the Land of Piss

Well, Tanzania is not all it's cracked up to be! It costs a fortune and every street corner there is the foul smell of pee! On the bright side I have spend way too much money...not really a bright side is it? I swear I am panicking! Nobody warned me that Tanzania would swallow my money as if there was no tomorrow! I guess I should have been prepared since Uganda is tremendously cheap and I am now having to pay for a place to stay every night, anyone got any friends I can bunk with?

Anyway, other than quickly running out of money I have done some things since being here. Mwanza was a little bit of a let down. I mean there was a great 5 star hotel which I visited once for some cake, I mean of course I also visited a cheap place for cake! Other than that there was just a market which we went to each day. We didn't manage to visit a woman who runs a charity there because it rained a lot and sadly Rachel got quite ill so was in bed for a day. Over all, Mwanza...good for cake!

We are now in Arusha and with many 'Hakuna Matatas' (I miss you Rachy!) and 'Sister, you give me money' we are now staying in a lovely little place which offers us private bathrooms and a cold shower. That was after we stayed in a mini prison for a night though! Arusha has not been the best either I must say. Although we did visit the 'Cultural Heritage' which was AMAZING! If you don't believe me, google it, and if it isn't on google then you will just have to believe me! It has art from all across Africa and things that are thousands of years old! It was fascinating! Sadly we couldn't take picture, but I did get a sneaky few in of the outside, cheeky! After the amazing visit I managed to hitch us a ride to a shopping area which was just like Tesco, only without the magazine, and then another free lift back to the hotel. It was all done by a man being white (and Spanish) and kind, and then the cutest little girl (besides you Ellen!) coming for a cuddle! Her family were so amazed they decided we couldn't walk back in the rain and dropped us at the door of our hotel, Hakuna Matata!

Today Holly isn't feeling too great, she's got a cold in Africa! So she has gone back to the hotel to bed, Rachel, Jen and I on the other hand have gone to a clothes market and a crafts market. I managed to stop myself from spending loads and only bought a pair of primark leggings (never forgotten!) and a cute little bracelet, Rachel on the other hand didn't get off so lightly! She has filled her bag and is also carrying a few extra things, although now we are all panicking about our spendings!

Anyway, off to see Kilminjaro soon in Moshi and then to Dar Es Salaam and then Zanzibar, all to spend too much money, then cry about it! I am sure I will be able to get internet and keep you all updated, fingers crossed I won't be in such a bad financial state by then and will have limited my spendings!

All my love, a travelling Ugandan girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment