Sunday 12 May 2013

The Road Trip, Part 1...a lot happened!

Holy moly, I have been so busy! A ridiculous amount has happened and I have to blog about it, I don't even know how it is going to be possible! I will try to make this as short as possible not only because I don't want you to fall asleep but also because my head hurts and I think I should have nap! 


Okay so ROAD TRIP TIME!!! We were up nice and early on Tuesday 2nd May to head off to Masaka to collect our wonderful little Rav 4 which was later named Dylan. He was a wonderful little guy and when I eventually get the chance to upload photos you can all fall in love with him as well. So, we hopped into Dylan and I drove us out of Masaka towards the wonderful Mbarara! We experienced our first and only traffic cop who just laughed at the photo on my licence and then told me I had a pretty name, lovely guy! After arriving in Mbarara we bought lots of food for our dinner then we headed to a cute little organic restaurant to drink some weird juices and eat some pretty gross food! 

After a whole day of driving we arrived in Queen Elizabeth and after a yummy dinner of baguette and lots of cheese we watched a crappy film and went to sleep, I of course fell asleep through the film because I have somehow lost the ability to stay awake during any movie?!

Up early and off we go, we were headed for Katwe, a bit of a dump but they served milk tea so I was happy. However on the way we saw...ELEPHANTS! We didn't even have to pay any money and BOOM elephants! I have never breaked so hard so fast! It was unbelievably exciting! After sitting staring for a while we soon realised there was a storm on our tail so we decided to hit the road and set off as quickly as we could. Once we had arrived in Katwe we noticed just how bad it was so instead of staying there for a while like planned we only stayed for one night, as did the 40 odd girls who were on a school trip! Needless to say we didn't get that great a sleep because of these girls, but we still had fun.

The next day we set off ready to safari, and safari we did! Although we didn't see many animals we did an incredible crater drive and then had an over-priced but yummy lunch in a fancy hotel. As we were leaving, as gracefully as we could, a little family of warthogs ran out in front of Dylan! It was so cool and unexpected, I was a little over excited seen as they are fellow Pumbas! After filling up on food and fuel we headed back to the first hotel for a comfy and cheap nights sleep ready to get up at 6 for an early morning game drive.

Well, you may think "Why the hell would you get up at 6? Surely all the animals will be asleep..." This is not true! God dammit always get out as early as you can! We we had  been driving for a mere 10 minutes and BOOM elephants start crossing the road in front of us! Then after watching them for half an hour we turn another corner and BOOMBOOM a lioness and her cubs are playing on a rock. Then after a quick pee stop BOOM BOOM BOOM 2 hippos are running along beside the car! This was not only amazing but also petrifying because hippos are in fact one of the most dangerous animals in the park! The morning safari was unbelievable and if I hadn't been there for myself I would not have believed how lucky we were!

Anyway, I will continue this later because I am boiling and feeling a little queezy from the heat so need to go and find some shade! 

All my love

Your Ugandan Girl. X

No comments:

Post a Comment