Sunday 25 August 2013

Settling Back In

I have now been home for an entire week, not that I feel I have accomplished much! I have spent the majority of my time in hospital or bed, or both but that hasn't stopped me seeing people. I felt awful as I landed in Heathrow and after a mild argument with the paramedic and Virgin airline lady I was eventually allowed to fly back to Edinburgh where I was whisked into mum and dad's motor home (midlife crisis is my only explanation) and taken to hospital, not the welcome home we had anticipated really. But never the less I am out of good ol' PRI and back in Abernethy, the village where nothing happens! It is okay though, I amn't stuck here for long as tomorrow I am setting off to Glasgow to start my new course in Journalism; the non-stop life style is what I crave.

I keep having weak moments where I think about my life back in Uganda and how perfect it was. I keep comparing my return now to the start of my Ugandan adventure and can't help but notice just how similar the emotions are, the grass is always greener springs to mind! I keep peering over my shoulder for a boda boda to take me to the location I want to get to but then realise I have to walk and struggle with every step knowing that I am the only means of transport. I keep saying 'kwata' to people meaning, 'please can you hold this' but being so used to the simple Lugandan that I forget people don't actually understand what I am saying! It is crazy, I just can't seem to get used to this new way of life, my old life! 

Thankfully my health is fully back (apart from a cold, bloody Scotland!) and I am more than prepared to start the next chapter. I have been so used to being busy every single day of my life that having to slow down and do nothing has been a bit of a struggle but thankfully that'll stop tomorrow bright and early as I hop aboard my train to Glasgow. Therefore I bid you farewell, because I think this might just be my last blog for 'The Tales of a Lost Mzungu' seen as I am now no longer in the land I can get lost. I have loved keeping you all up to date with my crazy adventures and hope you have enjoyed reading them. 

Forever,

Your Ugandan Girl. X

No comments:

Post a Comment