Friday 28 June 2013

Home - but where is home?

‘Home is where the heart is.’ I’m not sure who said this but I swear they did consider me! Of course I am excited about coming back to Scotland and starting the next chapter and at times I find myself thinking, ‘is it time yet?’ but I don’t really think I can call it home now. But then I can’t call my wonderful little house in Kiwangala home either, so where is it?

I have been here for a whopping 10 months now which is wonderful, incredible and scary! I have experienced so many crazy adventures which have honestly changed my life and forced me to mature in ways I didn’t want to until I was at least 30. I have held a child as they cry because their father has died, cried with a boy, a brother, because he is in unbelievable pain and there is nothing I can do and consoled a grown man as he fears for his daughters life. I now understand why my dad would say “I want to take your pain, I do.” because I have felt that. I have wanted to take away the pain and sickness from so many children, adults and friends, but like I always told my dad, “You can’t do that.”

Today I haven’t been feeling too great, in fact I was sent home by my Ugandan Mother because of my flu and the fact that I was almost asleep while walking. I had woken up this morning with an aching body and a drum in my head so loud I thought there was going to be a little rock concert and at any moment Led zeppelin would be playing, loud! Therefore after walking to school slower than any Ugandan, sending a child home because she was ill, giving my class too much work and collapsing into Justine’s arms, I returned to the house where I lay in Kate’s bed, snuggling up to both Calum and Kate while watching the end of One Day. At the end of the movie, they both realised they had classes so shot out the door while I slept for a good 2 hours.

Having slept and still feeling down but not tired I have sat thinking about home and I am still stuck and confused about where exactly it is. Abernethy, Kiwangala or am I just going to become a gypsy like my Grandad always said? As well as trying to work out this puzzle I have been very excited about the idea of yet another adventure next year! It looks like I might be moving to Glasgow folks, as the lovely people from Cardonald College have decided I fit the bill to study Journalism for 2 years! Life just keeps throwing wonderful surprises my way, which I am gladly accepting!

I am aware I still have another 2 months left but it has really hit me about how little time I have left in my haven, but hey! I am sure I will have plenty new adventures to go on in my life because like Grandad once told me, “You’re just like a little gypsy, aren’t you Jennifer?”

No comments:

Post a Comment